Sunday, January 08, 2006

Ginger cat calls emergency service


I thought I'd just put this in my diary, it just goes to show that we cats especially we cats who are fortunate enough to be shaded ginger can be heroes. Of course if I were in the same position I'd do exactly the same thing, but probably with a bit of mouth to mouth for good measure! I'm wondering if he could be a relative. I mean I was born in a port, descended from a long line of ships mousers, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of my ancestors disembarked in New York and failed to re-embark. Anyway this is the story.


Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair. Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911. "I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation. Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.


I just wish all humans could appreciate how talented and versatile a species we are, I am of course exceptional (not the exception to the rule.) as is my newly found cousin from across the pond.

No comments: